Now Accepting Applications for the 2017-2018 Young Leaders in Action
News | Education
DEADLINE: MAY 1ST!
Download the Young Leaders in Action application as a Word Document HERE. Applications due May 1st
Download the Young Leaders in Action application as a PDF, HERE. Applications due May 1st.
The World Affairs Council’s Young Leaders in Action brings together 20 high school students from across Portland for global issue workshops, leadership training and community service projects with an international impact.
Young Leaders in Action meets the second Saturday and fourth Sunday of each month from June 2017 to April 2018, taking part in:
- Workshops on Global Issues shaping our world like climate change, poverty, women’s empowerment, international conflict, and more.
- Leadership Training on the skills to take action in the community, including fundraising, social media, political advocacy, and community organizing.
- Community Service Activities with an international impact.
- Networking opportunities with leaders from Portland and around the world.
Young Leaders in Action also receive:
- Free admission to World Affairs Council lectures and community programs.
- Mentorship and advising on study abroad scholarships and college and career opportunities in the field of international affairs.
- Guidance in creating an action project on the global issue of your choice.
- Lunch and Trimet passes to each meeting.
Download the Young Leaders in Action application HERE. Applications due May 1st.
Who should apply?
Any Portland-area high school student with a graduation year of 2018 or later is eligible to apply. Applicants will be selected based on:
- Interest in learning about international issues and other cultures.
- Passion to take action and serve the local and global community.
- Commitment to working with staff and other youth to advance the program goals.
- Ability to bring a unique perspective and voice to the program (we value diversity in ideas, cultures, experience, and background).
What is the commitment?
Young Leaders in Action must attend a minimum of 10 of the 12 monthly meetings on the fourth Sunday of each month. Most meetings will take place 1:00-4:00pm at the World Affairs Council offices in downtown Portland. The anticipated schedule for the 2017-2018 program is:
- June 6 (4-7pm Program Orientation)
- June 25
- July 23
- August 27
- September 24
- October 22
- November 19
- December 17
- January 28
- February 25
- March 25
- April 22
Participants must also attend one Service Saturday or other World Affairs Council event every 2 months (6 total). Service Saturdays take place the second Saturday of each month (times and locations will vary) and include volunteer activities and visits to international events or groups. Anticipated dates are:
- June 10
- July 8
- August 12
- September 9
- October 14
- November 11
- December 9
- January 13
- February 10
- March 10
In addition, Young Leaders in Action must
Write 1 blog reflection every 4 months (3 total).
Implement an Awareness to Action Project in your school or community during Spring of 2018. With the support of staff and other Young Leaders you will design a community service project focused on an international issue.
How do I apply?
Download a Young Leaders in Action application HERE and submit application, teacher recommendation, and peer recommendation by Sunday May 1.
Want to spread the word?
Download a Young Leaders in Action flier HERE to share with your students and friends.
Want more information?
Contact Samara Chism-Winfield at samaraworldoregon [dot] org or (503) 306-5296.
Young Leaders in Action is made possible by the support of: